Extension comes with annual salary increases
The TriMet Board of Directors approved a two-year contract extension between TriMet and the Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) 757 at the Board’s Aug. 10, 2022 meeting. The current union Working and Wage Agreement that had been set to expire on Nov. 30, 2022, will now extend through November 2024. Nearly all aspects of the current contract will remain the same, but the extension includes annual wage increases: 7.5% increase effective on December 1, 2022, and a 4% increase effective on December 1, 2023. TriMet staff represented by ATU 757 voted to ratify the contract in late July.
“Our union employees work incredibly hard to keep our transit service rolling, people throughout the region moving and our customers informed and safe,” said TriMet General Manager Sam Desue Jr. “They deserve pay that reflects their vital role, not only at TriMet but in our community. I’m thrilled to see this contract extension and the salary increases move forward.”
“I want to appreciate the good relationship that we have building with TriMet now,” said ATU 757 President Shirley Block at the Aug. 10 meeting. “I want this Board to know that ATU stands behind TriMet trying to make anything safe for all our members. We appreciate the extra effort going on board.”
The contract extension and pay increases are important as TriMet works to end the most severe operator shortage in agency history.
Join Team TriMet
TriMet is offering a $7,500 hiring bonus for those joining our team as bus operators. The current starting pay is $25.24 an hour, which will increase Dec. 1, 2022, with the contract extension. Other benefits for operators include:
- Medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans at low or no monthly cost
- Two retirement plans, with an 8% agency base pay contribution to employee’s 401a
- One week of paid vacation and up to 40 hours sick leave in the first year of employment, with paid time off increasing over time
- Health and dependent care spending accounts
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program with mental health and counseling services, legal assistance, financial coaching and home ownership programs
- Annual transit pass (valued up to $1200) for employee and eligible family members
- 24-hour access to five exclusive, low-cost, on-site fitness centers
- Representation by Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) 757
TriMet bus operators also qualify for MAX operator training after successfully completing bus operator training. Learn more and apply today at trimet.org/drive.