Free rides are back from 8 p.m. Dec. 31 through 3 a.m. Jan. 1, and MAX hours will be extended
Planning to be out and about this New Year’s Eve? Ride for free with TriMet!
Hop on MAX and TriMet buses and ride for free Sunday, Dec. 31, starting at 8 p.m., through Monday, Jan. 1, at 3 a.m. Portland Streetcar and C-TRAN, TriMet’s transit partners, are also lifting fares on New Year’s Eve.
Traffic fatalities in Portland reached a record high in 2023, and we know the risk of crashes is higher on holidays like New Year’s Eve. TriMet is proud to continue our long-running tradition of free rides on the last night of the year. Don’t drink and drive — count on TriMet to get you to and from your destination.
Check trimet.org for the latest route information and to plan your trip.
Ride on MAX
Staying up late to ring in the New Year? So is MAX! We’re extending service hours on MAX light rail into the early morning of Jan. 1, 2024.
- The MAX Blue Line will operate about three hours later than usual for Sunday service, with the last westbound train leaving the Cleveland Ave MAX Station at 1:57 a.m. and the last eastbound train leaving the Hatfield Government Center MAX Station at 1:31 a.m.
- The MAX Green Line will operate about two hours later than usual, with the last westbound train leaving the Clackamas Town Center Transit Center at 2:12 a.m. and the last eastbound train leaving the Pioneer Courthouse/SW 6th Ave MAX Station at 2:18 a.m.
- The MAX Orange Line will also operate about two hours later than usual, with the last northbound train leaving the SE Park Ave MAX Station at 1:56 a.m. and the last southbound train leaving the Pioneer Place/SW 5th Ave MAX Station at 2:02 a.m.
- The MAX Yellow Line will also operate about two hours later than usual, with the last northbound train leaving the Pioneer Courthouse/SW 6th Ave MAX Station at 2:27 a.m. and the last southbound train leaving the Expo Center MAX Station at 1:32 a.m.
- The MAX Red Line will operate about an hour and a half later than usual, with the last westbound train leaving the Portland International Airport MAX Station at 1:56 a.m. and the last eastbound train leaving the Beaverton Transit Center at 12:20 a.m.
Remember, you can always check trimet.org to find train arrival times at each station, plan your trip and track your train.
Go by bus
TriMet buses will follow Sunday schedules on New Year’s Eve. Bus lines that do not typically run on Sunday will not be operating.
Be sure to check trimet.org for your bus line’s schedule. You can also plan your trip, complete with connections to MAX, Portland Streetcar and other bus lines, and track your bus as it approaches your stop.
Our Customer Safety Supervisors will be working throughout the system to keep riders and operators safe on New Year’s Eve.
With more people expected to be traveling on New Year’s Eve, we encourage everyone to:
- Be alert and pay attention around buses and trains.
- Put away your devices and look both ways whenever crossing the street or tracks.
- Be respectful of operators and other riders.
- Check your surroundings for personal items before getting on or off a TriMet vehicle.
- Report any unwanted behavior or disruptive conduct.
We’ve made it easier to report security concerns 24 hours a day. For non-urgent matters, text or call 503-238-7433 (RIDE) or submit a report through the “security” button on trimet.org.
If you see something suspicious or dangerous while traveling, say something to a TriMet employee or call 911.
For decades, TriMet has offered free rides to support safe, responsible celebrations on New Year’s Eve. Our goal is to help everyone get around the Portland metro area safely and start 2024 right.
Plan ahead by visiting trimet.org. You can find multiple options for how to get where you’re going, identify the way you want to go, and even print or save a link to your trip plan so you can refer back to it later. We’ll highlight each step along the way, so you can be sure you’ll know how to get there. And if you’re traveling after midnight, remember to set the date for Jan. 1, 2024!
Our web app also lets you track your train or bus in real time.
New Year’s Day service
New Year’s Day falls on a Monday. However, due to the holiday, MAX and bus lines will be operating on their Sunday schedules Monday, Jan. 1. Bus lines that do not run Sunday will not be operating. WES commuter rail also won’t be in service.
TriMet’s Customer Support Center at Pioneer Courthouse Square and the Lost & Found at the TriMet Operations Headquarters on SE 17th Avenue will be closed on New Year’s Day. Both will reopen Tuesday, Jan. 2.
For more information, visit trimet.org/holidays.