During the transition, reload cards at myhopcard.com, by using the Hop app or by visiting hundreds of retail partners
TriMet wants to let our riders know that due to upgrades underway by some of our retail partners, you may not be able to load fare to Hop Fastpass® cards at their stores. Albertsons and Safeway outlets expect system work to be complete and Hop transactions to resume by Wednesday, Oct. 15. Fare loading at Plaid Pantry stores remains temporarily suspended for similar reasons, as TriMet announced earlier this month. We thank our riders for their patience as our retail partners upgrade their systems. Riders are urged to use myhopcard.com, the Hop mobile app or another retail location to load fare to their card.
Riders still have access to hundreds of retail outlets across our tri-county service area to buy and/or load money onto their Hop cards, including Fred Meyer and 7-Eleven, as well as at many small businesses throughout the community. TriMet’s Customer Support Center at Pioneer Courthouse Square also sells and loads Hop cards.
The safe, quick and easy way to pay
TriMet first began rolling out Hop in July 2017, long before the COVID-19 pandemic made contactless fare payment systems like it more attractive. Hop offers a number of innovative ways to pay fare. Its basic form is the physical Hop card, which works just like a gift card. You load money to the card and then tap it to a Hop reader, to deduct fare when you ride. Hop readers are located on board buses and at the platform for MAX and WES. Tap with every ride and transfer. It’s your proof of payment and shows you have valid fare. With Hop, there’s no need to carry cash, have exact change or stop at a ticket machine.
Loaded with options
In addition to the physical Hop card, there are plenty of options to pay your fare with Hop:
Virtual Hop card – Virtual Hop cards are available for both Apple and Android smartphones and can be purchased directly from the Hop mobile app. You can also use the app to convert a physical card to a virtual card. Virtual cards can easily be reloaded using a bankcard, through the Hop app or at myhopcard.com.
Mobile wallet payment – Mobile wallet or contactless credit or debit cards – Hop readers accept payments directly from phones linked to a mobile wallet and contactless credit or debit cards. Simply tap the phone or card to the NFC symbol on the Hop reader to pay fare. You do not need a Hop card or account to use this option.
Hop ticket – Hop paper day passes and 2½ hour tickets, embedded with Hop technology, can be purchased with cash or card at ticket vending machines. Even though these cards are not tied to an account and cannot be reloaded, you need to tap the ticket to a Hop reader before each ride.
Cash on board buses – We still accept cash for 2½ hour and day passes at the fare box onboard buses. You’ll need exact change and tell the operator which fare you are purchasing.
Packed with benefits
Hop is loaded with benefits and can help you save on your transit costs. Here’s how:
- With Hop, you’ll earn passes as you ride. That means you’ll never pay more than the cost of a day pass for a day of travel, and once you reach the cost of a month pass, the rest of the rides that month are free.
- By earning passes, you also avoid the upfront cost of buying a day or month pass. Adult riders who previously purchased a month pass for $100 can load funds to their card as needed for trips. Once you reach $100 within a calendar month, the rest of the month’s rides are free!
- With earned passes, you also avoid paying for rides you don’t take. If you don’t reach the cost of a monthly pass within the month, you’re not out the remaining balance as you would with a monthly pass.
- Registered cards come with even more cost-saving benefits. If you happen to lose your card, visit myhopcard.com or call 1-844-MYHOPCARD to freeze the balance and transfer it to a new card.
- When a card is registered, it can also be set to auto-load funds to your account from a bankcard, so you can rest assured you will always have fare.
Learn more at myhopcard.com