Free rides begin at 8 p.m. on December 31, with extended late-night MAX service
Safely celebrate the year gone by and the start of 2019 with a free ride on TriMet this New Year’s Eve. Beginning at 8 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 31, through 3 a.m. January 1, service on TriMet buses and MAX trains is free. Portland Streetcar is also offering free service on New Year’s Eve. MAX trains will provide extended late-night service until about 3.a.m. when free service ends. Buses and Portland Streetcar will run on regular weekday schedules.
To take advantage of the free New Year’s Eve service, just remember, after 8 p.m., there’s no need to tap your Hop card or buy a ticket at the station. Just hop on any TriMet bus, MAX train or Portland Streetcar and travel safely to your destination.
For those traveling before 8 p.m. on New Year’s Eve, or after 4 a.m. New Year’s Day, fares are required. The new Hop Fastpass® system make it easy to pay for your ride. Learn more at myhopcard.com.
TriMet would like to thank those who make the safe and responsible decision to take transit to and/or from celebrations across the Portland area.
Extended late-night MAX service
MAX Blue, Green, Orange and Yellow lines will run on weekday schedules, with late night, extended service running every 30-35 minutes. The last trains will be leaving Downtown Portland about 3 a.m.
MAX Red Line will also run on weekday schedules, with the last train leaving from Gateway Transit Center to Portland International Airport at 1:10 a.m. Shuttle bus service will be available after that, providing drop-offs only from Gateway to Red Line stations in NE Portland until 3:30 a.m. Our Line 272-PDX Night Bus also serves PDX between about 2 a.m. and 4 a.m., when MAX Red Line is not in service. Learn more about TriMet’s New Year’s Eve schedule here.
Plan ahead and know before you go
Even if you’ve never taken TriMet before, you’ll find it user-friendly and easy to do. TriMet’s free apps and online tools offer maps, directions, real-time arrival information and service alerts.
- Maps and schedules show you where TriMet buses and MAX trains travel.
- Trip Planner has step-by-step instructions to and from destinations across TriMet’s service area. Be sure to select January 1, 2019 for trips after midnight.
- TriMet is part of the city of Portland’s Safe Ride Home/Vision Zero. Discounts may be available for the remainder of your ride home.
Celebrate safely and responsibly
- Be alert and pay attention around buses, trains and other vehicles.
- Take a moment, pause you devices, and look both ways before crossing tracks and streets.
- Make sure you’re visible by wearing clothing that’s light colored or has reflective elements.
- Be respectful of operators and other riders, and please do not be disruptive on board.
- Be aware of your surroundings and if you see something suspicious, alert a TriMet employee, security officer or contact 9-1-1. If you cannot safely make a voice call, text 9-1-1.
New Year’s Day service
On New Year’s Day, buses and MAX trains will run on Sunday schedules, so service may be less frequent. Portland Streetcar will also run on Sunday schedule and WES Commuter Rail will not be in service. Our online Trip Planner and TransitTracker will be updated to reflect these holiday schedules.
TriMet’s Rider Support team will be available via text message at 503-238-7433 and on Twitter at @trimethelp, but the 503-283-RIDE call center and TriMet Ticket Office at Pioneer Courthouse Square will be closed.