Filming and Photography on TriMet


We regret that at this time we are unable to accept any filming or photography requests due to preparations for the opening of the MAX Orange Line. Please check back after September 12, 2015.

At that time, we will consider requests to film and/or photograph on TriMet property that is open to the public, including buses, MAX Light Rail and WES Commuter Rail. However, some activities require prior notice, a permit and insurance.

Do I need a permit?

No permit required: A permit is not required for non-commercial, personal-use filming or photography by the general public that does not interfere with transit operations or safety.

Permit required: If you wish to film or photograph on TriMet property or vehicles while engaged in a commercial, educational or non-profit activity, a signed permit and acceptable insurance certificates are required. Submit your permit application (see below) at least 14 business days prior to your proposed first shoot. Fees may be required.

News media: We ask that you provide TriMet’s Communications Team advance notice before filming. Media personnel are allowed to ride for free, but may not interfere with the safe operation of the vehicle or board a vehicle at capacity. You must contact us to arrange an interview with an operator. See contact information below.

  • Read the complete TriMet Filming and Photography Protocol PDF

Permit and insurance information

  • Application for Film/Photo Permit PDF
  • Film/Photo Permit and Right-of-Entry Agreement PDF
  • Film/Photo Permit Insurance Requirements PDF

Contact us

Roberta Altstadt, Public Information Officer
Phone: 503-962-5669