Let TriMet ease your travels to and from the Rose Festival’s ever-popular Starlight Parade when it lights up the streets of Downtown Portland Saturday, June 2, at 8:30 p.m. Avoid the frustrating and time-consuming downtown parking merry-go-round and hop on TriMet instead. We’ll have extra service and extended MAX service for the parade. Plan ahead and be patient as Rose Festival parade days are typically TriMet’s busiest days of the year. We’ll have staff out and about to help you navigate to, through and back home from the parade.
Getting to Starlight Run & Parade
The Starlight Run begins at 7:45 p.m. with the Starlight Parade starting immediately after. Twenty bus lines and all MAX lines serve the Portland City Center to get you to the festivities that night, and they will run on Saturday schedules. Tips for making your ride in to Downtown hassle-free include:
- Head to Downtown Portland early. Arrive before the Starlight Run and Parade are under way because both events will cause delays to TriMet service.
- Consider using TriMet Park & Rides that are a little further away from Downtown Portland. Those closer usually fill up first.
- Avoid bringing big strollers, coolers or bikes on MAX. With huge crowds expected, you may have to wait longer to find space on the trains especially after the parade.
- Consider using the Lloyd Center Express bus service. It will loop between the Lloyd Center/NE 11th Ave MAX Station and 2nd Avenue in Downtown. Express buses will run from about 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m., and after the parade ends through about 12:30 a.m.
- Fares are required on all TriMet vehicles. Pick up a Hop Fastpass® card (As with traditional paper tickets, everyone age 7 and up in your group or family needs their own Hop card. However, you can easily manage multiple cards through one Hop account on myhopcard.com or using the Hop app.) No card? No problem. Use Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay to purchase an adult fare instantly using your mobile wallet! Android users also have the option of using a virtual Hop card in Google Pay to get the same benefits of a plastic Hop card.
- Some bus lines intersect the parade route. Lines 6, 12, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 54/56 and 77 will be detoured during the parade.
Getting around during Starlight Parade
More than parade goers may feel the effect of the Starlight Run and Parade. Plan an extra 30 minutes to any MAX trip system wide Saturday evening from about 7:30 p.m. to about 11 p.m. as trains may stop at stations for several minutes to keep them spaced out and prevent further delays.
On bus lines that run through downtown, plan an extra 15-30 minutes into trips as buses also will hold for periods of time during the run and parade. Always check trimet.org/alerts before you go to learn about service impacts.
Leaving downtown after the parade.
When the parade is over, everyone begins to head home at the same time. Expect to wait at MAX stations as the first several trains may arrive full, but please be patient as later trains will arrive with fewer riders. Here are some tips to help speed up your post-parade downtown departure:
- Take the special express bus to the Lloyd District to connect with trains there. The express buses will run after the parade through about 12:30 a.m., picking up riders on SW 2nd Avenue at Taylor, Morrison, Oak and Ankeny streets before dropping off at NE 13th and Holladay.
- Consider taking regular bus service to a MAX station. Many buses connect with MAX stations. Plan your trip using TriMet’s online Trip Planner.
- Add Green to your eastside MAX options. Rather than waiting for the more crowded MAX Blue or Red Line trains, catch a MAX Green Line on 6th Avenue and transfer to a Blue or Red train at Gateway Transit Center.
Take advantage of extra MAX service added after the parade:
- The last Blue Line train to Hillsboro leaves Pioneer Square North about 12:54 a.m., with the last train to Elmonica/SW 170th Ave leaving the Square at 1:53 a.m.
- The last Blue Line train to Gresham leaves Pioneer Square South about 1:32 a.m.
- The last Yellow Line train to Expo Center leaves Pioneer Courthouse/SW 6th Ave about 12:29 a.m.
- The last Red Line train to the airport leaves Pioneer Square South about 12:33 p.m.
- The last Orange Line train to Milwaukie leaves Pioneer Place/SW 5th Ave about 12:20 a.m.
Starlight night safety
TriMet wants you to have fun and stay safe on Starlight night. Our operators will be watching out for you, but please be aware around our buses and trains. Also, always pay attention to your surroundings and your possessions, and if you see something suspicious, say something. Alert a TriMet employee, a police officer, a Rose Festival staff member or call 9-1-1.