Free rides begin at 8 p.m. on December 31, 2017 with extended late-night MAX service
Whether New Year’s Eve is a celebration of the year that was, or a toast to what lies ahead, make it a night to remember with free rides on TriMet. Celebrate safely with free bus and MAX service after 8 p.m. on December 31, and extended late-night service on MAX until the early morning hours of New Year’s Day. Portland Streetcar rides are also free. Plan ahead and follow these simple resolutions to ring in the New Year right!
New Year’s Eve Resolution 1: Choose your best service option
TriMet buses and MAX will run on Sunday schedules, with extended late-night service on MAX until about 3 a.m. Portland Streetcar will also run on Sunday schedules.
- MAX Blue, Green, Orange and Yellow lines will run on Sunday schedules with extended late-night service running approximately every 30 – 35 minutes until about 3 a.m.
- MAX Red Line will run on Sunday schedule with shuttle buses available to take riders from Gateway to Red Line stations in NE Portland after train service ends until approximately 3:30 a.m.
- TriMet is part of the city of Portland’s Safe Ride Home/Vision Zero campaign. Additional discounts may be available for the remainder of the ride home.
New Year’s Eve Resolution 2: Know before you go
TriMet’s free apps and online tools offer maps and directions, real-time arrival information and service alerts.
- Trip Planner provides step-by-step instructions to and from destinations across the Portland metro area. Make sure to change the date to January 1 for travel home after midnight.
- Go to trimet.org to access Trip Planner, TransitTracker or Service Alert information.
New Year’s Eve Resolution 3: Remember rides are free after 8 p.m.
Rides on TriMet’s buses and MAX trains (as well as the Portland Streetcar) are free after 8 p.m. so make a mental note or set an alarm on your phone as a reminder.
- After 8 p.m., remember do not tap your Hop card or phone at a reader, or buy a ticket at the fare box, ticket vending machine or on the mobile app.
- For those whose New Year’s Eve activities begin before 8 p.m. or last until after 4 a.m., fares are required and the new Hop Fastpass™ system makes it easy to pay for your ride. Learn more at myhopcard.com.
New Year’s Eve Resolution 4: Celebrate safely and responsibly
We want you to enjoy your New Year’s Eve celebration, but please do so responsibly.
- Be alert and pay attention around trains, buses and other autos. Look both ways before crossing tracks and streets, and stay back of curbs as well as the bumpy white tactile strip at rail stations.
- While celebrating, be respectful of our operators, riders and vehicles. Treat others appropriately and please do not be disruptive on board.
- Be aware of your surroundings and if you see something suspicious, alert a TriMet employee, security officer or contact 9-1-1. If you cannot safely make a voice call, text 9-1-1.
New Year’s Eve Resolution 5: Check out the holiday schedules for New Year’s Day
Plan ahead for New Year’s Day. As it is a federal holiday, TriMet will adjust service on Monday, January 1, 2018.
- On New Year’s Day, all MAX and bus service will run on Sunday schedules.
- WES Commuter Rail will not be in service.
- TriMet’s Rider Support team at 503-238-RIDE (7344) will not be available and the TriMet Ticket Office at Pioneer Courthouse Square will be closed.