Go by Transit tips for enjoying Rose Festival 2017
Taking TriMet to the 2017 Rose Festival events is a brilliant move to avoid the hassles of driving and parking. This year’s festival, with the theme “Brilliant”, kicks off Friday with CityFair, fireworks and fun.
CityFair begins May 26!
Hop on TriMet to get to the fun at the Rose Festival CityFair, which opens Friday at 5 p.m. at Tom McCall Waterfront Park. Enjoy games, food, RoZone concerts (Sir Mix-A-Lot is BACK!) and more including opening night fireworks. Hint: Tilikum Crossing, Bridge of the People, will give you a great view but please be careful crossing the tracks and streets around the bridge.
Here are some other tips for taking TriMet to/from the waterfront:
- Up to 20 bus lines and all MAX lines serve the Portland City Center, and drop you a short distance from Waterfront Park.
- Remember, fares are required on all TriMet buses and trains.
- Enjoy the entertainment and don’t worry about the time: buy a Day Pass! For five bucks for adults, $2.50 for students and honored citizens, it’s the same cost as two 2 ½-Hour tickets.
- Go mobile! Download the free TriMet Tickets app to buy fares for you and your family. No need to keep track of your tickets; they’re stored in your phone.
Parades for days!
Rose Festival parades are a Portland tradition – and make for some of TriMet’s busiest days of the year. Plan ahead and go early as the parades cross or run along some TriMet routes. Trains and buses will experience delays during the events, and some bus lines will be detoured.
For more than 40 years, the Starlight Run & Parade lights up the night in the city center on Saturday, June 3.
The Rose Festival Junior Parade celebrates the children of Portland on Wednesday, June 7 starting at 1p.m. in the Hollywood District
On Saturday, June 10, the centerpiece of the Rose Festival – the Grand Floral Parade – crosses from the Rose Quarter to downtown via the Burnside Bridge.
Parade day tips:
- All bus and MAX lines will run on Saturday schedules on the parade days.
- Special express buses will run between the Lloyd Center/NE 11th Ave MAX Station and downtown before and after the Starlight Parade.
- After the Starlight Parade, MAX trains will be running later than regular on MAX Green, Orange and Yellow lines.
- Get details of the special service at trimet.org/rosefest.
- Go early. Some bus lines will be detoured and buses and trains will experience delays at times during the parades. Check trimet.org/alerts before heading out.
- As our Park & Rides closer to downtown Portland usually fill up first, consider one a little further out. Visit trimet.org/parkandride for all our locations.
- Buy Day Passes when heading to the parades to avoid long lines at ticket machines afterwards. TriMet staff and volunteers will be at several MAX and bus stops to provide help and sell tickets. Or try out the free mobile ticket app. No need to keep track of your ticket. Your fare is stored in your phone.
- Be patient and expect long waits for MAX trains following the Starlight Parade as folks start to head home at the same time.
- Avoid bringing big strollers on MAX. With huge crowds expected for the parades, those with a big stroller or bike may have to wait longer to find space on the trains.
Fleet Week raises spirits…and bridges!
Since the very beginning Fleet Week has been a Rose Festival highlight. This year the ships are schedule to arrive Wednesday and Thursday, June 7th and 8th and depart on Monday morning, June 12. Due to Steel Bridge lifts there will be MAX delays during their arrivals and departures, so be sure to plan an extra 30-60 minutes during the arrivals. Some buses lines that use the Broadway, Steel and Burnside bridges will be delayed as well and may be detoured. Check our alerts page before you go on fleet arrival/departure days.
There’s more Rose Festival fun for you and the family. Go to rosefestival.org to learn about all the different events. Then head to trimet.org and use TriMet’s online trip planner, which makes it easy to plan your trip with information on travel and walk times, transfers and cost.