Walk or bike across the beautiful bridge on Aug. 9!
The MAX Orange Line opens in just 36 days! But for one day, this Sunday, the public can enjoy Tilikum Crossing, Bridge of the People.
TriMet and the City of Portland are hosting The People’s Preview where the public can walk or bike across Tilikum Crossing between 1:30-4:30 p.m. The free event follows the completion of the Providence Bridge Pedal. Providence Health & Services is sponsoring The People’s Preview, as well as hosting a Health and Wellness Expo on the east end of Tilikum Crossing on both Saturday (from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) and on Sunday (from noon to 5 p.m.)
With so much public excitement to get on the bridge, we expect several thousand people to join in the event.
The media can broadcast from Tilikum Crossing on Friday and Saturday for either morning or evening newscasts. For access, email PIO@trimet.org.
Sunday morning media opportunities
Congressman Earl Blumenauer will lead the first group of bicyclists across Tilikum Crossing prior to the start of the 2015 Providence Bridge Pedal. On Sunday, Aug. 9 at 6:15 a.m., the media can capture the peloton from the west side of Tilikum Crossing. Congressman Blumenauer will be available for brief remarks at the west end of the bridge. RSVP at PIO@trimet.org and safety vests are required
Sunday afternoon media opportunities
We expect thousands of people to walk or bike across Tilikum Crossing during The People’s Preview from 1:30-4:30 p.m. Given the large crowds, the media is allowed to be on the ends of the bridge either on the east side or west side.
Tilikum Crossing – the only one!
Tilikum Crossing is the only bridge of its kind in the U.S. carrying MAX light rail and Portland Streetcar trains, buses, bicyclists, pedestrians, but no private vehicles.
About the MAX Orange Line/Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail Transit Project
The 7.3-mile MAX Orange Line opens on Saturday, Sept. 12, 2015. It will improve transit along the corridor that extends from the terminus of the MAX Green and Yellow lines at Portland State University in Downtown Portland to South Waterfront, SE Portland, Milwaukie and North Clackamas County.
• The Orange Line includes Tilikum Crossing, Bridge of the People, the first of its kind multi-modal bridge in the U.S. carrying MAX light rail and Portland Streetcar trains, buses, bicyclists, pedestrians, but no private vehicles.
• 10 new MAX stations for a total of 97 stations systemwide.
• Expands the MAX system to 60 miles.
• 10 bus lines will be adjusted to make connections to Orange Line stations and more community connections.
• 446 new bike parking spaces, including 2 secure Bike & Ride facilities, at SE Tacoma St/Johnson Creek and SE Park Ave stations.
• 2 Park & Rides: 318 parking spaces at SE Tacoma St/Johnson Creek Station and 401 parking spaces at SE Park Ave Park & Ride Garage and 9 EV spaces with chargers.
The Federal Transit Administration, State of Oregon, Clackamas County, Metro, City of
Milwaukie, Multnomah County, City of Oregon City, Oregon Department of Transportation, City of Portland, Portland Development Commission and TriMet.