TriMet expects big crowds for another sold-out Shamrock Run
The ever popular Shamrock Run is sold out once again and will loop some 36,500 runners through southwest and northwest Portland Sunday morning, March 15. TriMet expects to see large crowds on buses and MAX trains as people make their way to Waterfront Park and the starting line.
The 15k Shamrock Challenge kicks off at 7:30 a.m. with other runs and walks starting periodically through 9:45 a.m. Most of the events will have an impact on some TriMet service. Fourteen bus routes will be detoured. Other bus lines and MAX trains may be held for a few minutes to allow runners and walkers through. If you’re riding a train or bus through downtown and inner northwest Portland before noon on Sunday, plan an extra 10 to 15 minutes into your trip.
The City of Portland will be operating the Portland Tram on Sunday morning to get people to and from Marquam Hill/OHSU as the Line 8-Jackson Park/NE 15th will not be serving the hill during the 15K.
Use caution on the Transit Mall
With many street closures and detours due to the run, TriMet reminds drivers to please use caution on the Transit Mall – 5th and 6th avenues. Please do not drive or stop in the transit-only lanes, or make illegal turns and other unsafe maneuvers around our buses and trains.
Buy TriMet passes at Shamrock Fitness Fair
TriMet customer service staff will be on hand at the Shamrock Fitness Fair at the Oregon Convention Center on Friday and Saturday, selling day passes for Shamrock Sunday and providing information on how participants can get to the events. Remember, fares are required on all TriMet vehicles.
Shamrock Sunday service
- Fourteen bus lines cross the Shamrock Run course and will be detoured on Sunday morning.
- Lines 4, 6, 8, 12, 14, 15, 17, 19, 33, 35, 44, 54, 56 and 77 will detour from 7 a.m. through as late as 11 a.m.
- Line 8 riders traveling to Marquam Hill/OHSU will be shuttled to the South Waterfront for a special Sunday ride on the Portland Tram to OHSU. TriMet fare will be valid on the tram.
- The closest stops to the Shamrock Run starting line are the Oak/SW 1st Ave platforms on the Blue and Red lines and the SW 5th & Oak and SW 6th & Pine platforms on the Green and Yellow lines.
- MAX will run on Sunday schedules.
- Trains run every 35 minutes on certain segments of the MAX line during the early morning hours; Green Line service from Clackamas Town Center does not start until 8 a.m.
- Plan ahead and check schedules or use the trip planner at trimet.org.
Park & Rides
TriMet has several Park & Ride lots that will connect you with bus or MAX service. Visit trimet.org/parkandride for locations and hours of availability. TriMet customer service staff will be on hand Sunday morning at the Delta Park/Vanport MAX Station, Gateway Transit Center, Sunset Transit Center, Elmonica/170th Ave MAX Station and Willow Creek/SW 185th Ave Transit Center helping with fares and service information.
The TriMet Tickets mobile app lets you easily purchase and use tickets and passes instantly on your phone – anywhere, anytime. Just download the free app, register your debit/credit card in our secure system and you’re ready to buy, activate and go. Learn more at trimet.org/mobiletickets.