Thousands of you are weighing in on the top four names for the Transit Bridge – Abigail Scott Duniway, Cascadia, Tillicum Crossing and Wy’east. As this is the first time the public has had the opportunity to suggest names for a bridge over the Willamette River in our area, we also wanted to share all of the public submissions. See all of the nearly 9,500 suggestions that range from historical to whimsical!
Background: Criteria for selecting a name
The Bridge Naming Committee put names through a filter of criteria to ensure the name would reflect regional importance, including:
- Origin of name
- Meaning of proposed name
- Is it inspirational? If so, why?
- Does it reflect how bridge connects people? If so, how?
- Historical significance (if any)
- Biographical info (if commemorative)
- Any special cultural meaning?
- What will it mean 100 years from now?
- Regional perspective
Over the first two days since we released the four finalist names, we’ve received more than 1,500 comments. Weigh in! We’ll be posting weekly updates on the public feedback we receive during this comment phase through March 1.