Beginning with the January 22 board of directors business meeting, several changes will be made to improve public involvement in the meetings and the decision-making process. Changes include:
- The Public Forum will move from the end of the business meeting to precede the meeting. This will provide a time-certain comment period and allows the board to hear input from the public before considering resolutions or policy issues.
- The Public Forum will begin at 9 a.m. and last until 9:45 a.m. followed by the business meeting beginning at 10 a.m. The public can sign up beginning at 8:30 a.m. to speak during the Public Forum. Board business meetings are typically held the fourth Wednesday of each month.
- TriMet staff will be available to meet with the public 30 minutes before the Public Forum begins and 30 minutes after the business meeting ends.
- The Public Forum and board business meetings will be live-streamed. TriMet will test live-streaming at the January 22 board meeting.
- TriMet’s website is being improved to make it easier for the public to provide written comment ahead of a business meeting via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Additionally, comment cards will be available at all board business meetings. The board receives all comments or correspondence and they are part of the permanent public record.
- There is no change to the process when the board is considering ordinances, which are guided by state statute and may require a public hearing.
TriMet Board President Bruce Warner said, “Our goal remains to look for the most meaningful ways to hear from the public and provide the most public access to our proceedings. These changes will make it easier for the public to participate and help guide us to make the best decisions.”
Warner said the board will monitor the changes as it continues to look for ways to improve public involvement in the agency’s activities.