More than 102 million trips taken on buses, MAX and WES
TriMet has reached a new ridership milestone: for the first time in the agency’s 43-year history, TriMet tops more than 102 million trips on its buses, MAX and WES Commuter Rail. That’s a 2.2 percent ridership increase during fiscal year 2012 compared to FY2011. Trips on buses and MAX boarding rides were up 2.4 and 2 percent, respectively, while WES boarding rides rose 12.8 percent to 418,100.
“This is a great milestone that shows riders value our service and the options it provides for getting around the region, whether to go to work, school or enjoy all the area has to offer,” said TriMet General Manager Neil McFarlane. “I want to thank all of our riders for reaching this new record, as well as the operators who provide this valuable service.”
During June, more than 8.5 million trips were taken on the system. Weekday bus trips climbed for the 10th month in a row, up 1.5 percent to 193,400 trips in June. Since opening in February 2009, WES ridership has continued to grow every month, including June with WES up 7.4 percent to 1,740 trips a day.
All figures below are compared with fiscal year 2011.
Fiscal year 2012
- Bus trips were up 2.4 percent to 59,626,800
- MAX trips were up 2.0 percent to 42,192,800
- WES trips were up 12.8 percent to 418,100
All figures below are compared with June 2011.
Bus, MAX & WES
- Weekly trips were down 0.5 percent to 2,010,720
- Weekday trips were up 0.7 percent to 326,940
- Weekend trips were down 5.4 percent to 376,020
- Rush-hour trips were up 0.3 percent to 100,340
- Weekly trips were up 1.4 percent to 1,224,700
- Weekday trips were up 1.5 percent to 193,400
- Weekend trips were up 1.4 percent to 193,000
- Rush-hour trips were up 0.2 percent to 60,000
- Weekly trips were down 3.1 percent to 842,020
- Weekday trips were down 0.5 percent to 131,800
- Weekend trips were down 11.3 percent to 183,020
- Rush-hour trips were up 0.3 percent to 38,600
MAX Green Line
- Weekday trips were up 2.7 percent to 23,200
- Weekend trips were down 10.5 percent to 28,100
- Weekday/rush-hour trips were up 7.4 percent to 1,740
- Weekly trips were up 7.4 percent to 8,700
Trip tools – TransitTracker
TransitTracker real-time arrival info is accessed more than two million times each month and available for all 6,800 bus stops and 85 MAX stations. Check it online, by mobile device, by texting 27299 or by calling 503-238-RIDE (7433) and entering the stop ID number.
Plan your trip online
TriMet’s online trip planner makes it easy to plan a trip, with information on travel and walk times, transfers and cost; visit trimet.org or m.trimet.org for smartphones.