Double-digit increase continues on WES as it marks 3 years in service
In January there were more than 8.2 million trips taken on TriMet buses, MAX and WES Commuter Rail, up 1.3 percent compared to the same month last year. Rush hour trips have now increased for 11 consecutive months, up 1.6 percent.
WES continued its double-digit increase for 20 straight months, up 17.4 percent. Since opening in February 2009, ridership has increased 37 percent and WES has provided more than one million rides.
“WES ridership continues to increase and has now reached a significant milestone,” said TriMet General Manager Neil McFarlane. “As the state’s first commuter rail line, its popularity continues to grow.”
WES by the numbers
- Total number of trips since opening on Feb. 2, 2009 – 1,040,782
- 37 percent increase in weekday trips in 3 years
- Double-digit ridership growth for the past 20 months
- For the last 12 months average weekday trips up 20 percent – 1,590
All figures below are compared with January 2011:
Bus, MAX & WES
- Weekly trips were up 1.3 percent to 1,927,500
- Weekday trips were up 1.8 percent to 323,920
- Weekend trips were down 1.3 percent to 307,900
- Rush-hour trips were up 1.6 percent to 105,220
- Weekly trips were up 1.5 percent to 1,163,300
- Weekday trips were up 1.5 percent to 197,600
- Weekend trips were up 1.7 percent to 175,300
- Rush-hour trips were up 0.3 percent to 65,200
- Weekly trips were up 0.7 percent to 756,100
- Weekday trips were up 2.0 percent to 124,700
- Weekend trips were down 5.1 percent to 132,600
- Rush-hour trips were up 3.2 percent to 38,400
MAX Green Line
- Weekday trips were up 7.9 percent to 23,200
- Weekend trips were down 0.9 percent to 23,200
- Weekday/rush-hour trips were up 17.4 percent to 1,620
- Weekly trips were up 17.4 percent to 8,100
Trip tools – TransitTracker
TransitTracker real-time arrival info is accessed more than two million times each month and available for all 6,800 bus stops and 85 MAX stations. Check it online, by mobile device, or by texting 27299 or by calling 503-238-RIDE (7433) and entering the stop ID number.
Plan your trip online
TriMet’s online trip planner makes it easy to plan a trip, with information on travel and walk times, transfers and cost. Visit trimet.org or call 503-238-RIDE (7433) weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.